A while ago, a challenge was offer with QDAD (Quilt Design A Day). It's been a while since I've actually designed quilts on a regular basis, but every once in a while I do and I like looking at the other designs. Anyway, we were given a picture with colors, as normal, but if we made the quilt it would possibly be entered in a special exhibit at QuiltCon. That sounded fun, so I thought I'd make one.
Here is the picture.
I really like working with blocks. I played around with several things until I came up with this block.
If you rotate it sometimes, you can end up with a quilt that looks like this:
To me, the orange and light blue imitate windows.
I had no idea what thread to use for this; any color would show up well in some places and hide in other places. I ended up using Mono-Poly on the suggestion of someone in the Facebook group. Overall, I was happy with the choice. It did skip more stitches that I was happy with, but I didn't go back and fix them. *gasp*
The windows have square back-and-forths, similar to blinds. They do overlap each other where the windows overlap. I also quilted two blue windows in a blue thread and two orange windows in an orange thread...the picture above does show that but it might be hard to see. The part in between the windows has straight lines.
I used some pixelated fabric for the back.
I bound it in the dark blue. I also tried to get a picture with it next to a window, but the sun washed it out on the day I was taking pictures.
This was my August goal, and I finished it with time to spare!! I'm also linking up with Whoop Whoop Friday.