Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Pastel baby quilt

I quilted this quilt up for my mother-in-law this weekend.  My parents wonderfully took my son and so I had a lot of fun time at home.

I love the colors on this quilt!  They're pastels, but paired with the grey they are lovely.  I did small loops in a light pink thread on the middle part.






I did a back and forth on the outer border, just to change up the texture a bit.  I did the back and forths all the way to the corners, so there is some cross-hatching in the very corners.  I really like how this quilt turned out.

Sunday, July 27, 2014

world and paper airplanes

I've been on a roll finishing quilts this week!  First up, the map and paper airplane quilt.  It is for a lovely, although unmet, girl who made her appearance in the world about six months ago.  The family is currently in the middle east, but they're coming home for a vacation in a month...so it'll be just the right time to give it to her!


The center is a panel that doesn't seem to be around much anymore.  The paper airplanes where designed by Kristy from Quiet Play and you can find the (free!) pattern here.


This quilt had several firsts...the first time I experimented with tea dying and the first time I did a bit of hand quilting.  I ended up doing tea dying because I didn't look at the pattern closely enough before buying the fabric and didn't realize that I needed three different fabrics.  So I solved it by dying the inner fold and giving the paper a white back.  My biggest fear is that the tea stain will fade over time or over washes, but I'll probably never find out.


I also did a bit of hand quilting to make the flying lines.  They're hard to see...the thread I choose was a little bit too light.  But they're there, all nice and chunky.  It was a nice thing to do while my son played outside, so I might need to work on getting a small quilt top ready this winter for next summer and only hand quilt it.


Lastly, the quilting.  The sea and air have swirls.  I used a varigated blue and white by Aurifil...it was getting near the end of the spool and I had a few more breaks than I normally do with Aurifil thread.  The continents are pebbled (because land has rocks) with a thread color that matched the continent color.  Oh, and the red border has wonky diamonds.


Sunday, July 20, 2014

Wrinkles

I finished the quilting, but this quilt has a lot of wrinkles in it.  I'm going to put a positive spin on them and call them tactile features, but deep down I know they're really just wrinkles.

This is one of the worst places, but there are wrinkles all over.

Saturday, June 28, 2014

Suddenly

And suddenly, the top was finished.  I must have gotten hung up a bit in the bottom with all the short pieces...because the last few rows went together very quickly and then everything was together!  It was a nice surprise.  As long as you don't look too closely, everything lines up.

I'm trying to decide if I'm going to add some side borders.  I think everything wobbles a bit and if I don't I'm going to cut off too much of the tan when squaring it up.





There's still a chance it'll be done by the time the baby arrives!

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

WIP Wednesday

I'm still making progress over here!  I finished quilting the paper airplane quilt.  I am going to add a few embellishments to the paper airplanes, and then just need to deal with loose threads and bind!

I'm also still plugging away on baby's treasure map quilt.  I'm pretty sick of it, to be honest.  It's a good thing that it's almost done.  Normally I'd switch projects for a bit, but I'd really like to finish this before the baby comes.  (In the picture below there is a strip pinned so you can see some of the back...and it distorts the picture a bit.  But that's where I stopped last night.)

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Family quilt - finished

Six months after I gave this quilt as a Christmas present, I finally finished it.  I'm blaming the baby...I was really happy to get the top and back pieced by Christmas, but after that my energy and caring plummeted.  They came back though, so I got it done!


Here's the top.  I got the inspiration for the layout from Gemma @ Pretty Bobbins.  You'll notice there are two blank spots...those for for pictures of the expanding family.  (At Christmas I put an ultrasound picture in one of the spots...it was how we announced the baby to that family. :D)

My son really liked this quilt because he recognized people on it.  We spent quite a bit of time naming everyone.  Here he is pointing to one of his pictures.

The back.  Cars, motorcycles, and flames.  (And some solids because I didn't calculate yardage correctly.)

I also didn't get enough of the inside backing fabric, and so made an emergency run to my LQS to see what I could find.  We found something that matched pretty well, but not quite as well as I wanted.  So I did spirals in the outside border to make it match the inside fabric design and tie everything together.  The inside background got squares and rectangles.  I did not quilt over the pictures, but I did stitch-in-the-ditch for a few of the larger ones.

I ended up using Spoonflower for printing the pictures because we don't have an inkjet.  So far I've been very happy with that choice!  The pictures were a bit dark, but not so much that one would notice.  I washed the quilt once without detergent and the pictures still looked good.  

My son thinks he should always get a turn with the camera, so here I am trying to pick off the white cotton fuzzies that got on the quilt while taking pictures.  They're everywhere!!

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Almost done!

Quilted and trimmed...finally!  This quilt was a Christmas present for my father-in-law, but due to being sick due to the pregnancy, knowing it wasn't square, and some other things that came up I've been ignoring it.  Only the binding left now though!