Friday, November 23, 2018

Gigantic wedding quilt - finished

The wedding quilt is finished!  While I really like how it turned out, the main thing I remember about is it that it was huge.  It's for a king bed and I added a bit extra to the sides since I like having a bit extra there...that way it is harder to steal the covers in the night.  The idea for the design came from A Quilter's Table.


I was really nervous about this as I made it.  I really only saw small sections together at a time and I didn't love it at that point.  I was afraid that the dark section was going to be too dark.  The kona colors I used include:
Extra dark: navy, spruce
dark: mediterranean, teal blue, oasis, and ultra marine
medium: bluegrass, candy green, jamaica, shale, iron, pool, and azure
light: dusty blue, sky, ice frappe, fog, ash

But after I laid it out at the end, I like it a lot more.  I didn't get to see it on the bed, and I'd be interested in seeing it sometime...the dark part should cover most of the main part of the bed with the light part draping down.

I knew I needed some easy quilting for this, so I just did some double wavy lines, one set per row.  To make it a little interesting I added some back and forths to one or two of the bubbles in each row.  This worked well, because it also helped hide some of the flaws.

I backed it in minky.  It makes the quilt bulkier, but I do love minky.  All adults seem to, even if it isn't an 'adult' fabric.

Phew.  While I do like how it ended up, I really am glad that it is done.  If I ever do a king sized quilt again, I need to go with the 'normal' king quilt dimensions.  I think that would have helped some of the quilting issues (that I didn't talk about).

1 comment:

  1. I think it turned out great! I love seeing new ideas for HST.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!