Sunday, December 22, 2019

Heidi's wedding quilt

The wedding quilt is finished!

It's large and therefore hard to get a picture of.  However, it wasn't too large for my quilter, so that was awesome.  The pattern is from the July/Aug '19 issue of Quiltmaker and designed by Sylvia Schaefer.  (The official name is Glow Tiles.)  I'll admit, I didn't like the pattern in the magazine.  It's one of the first patterns I've made from a magazine, so they might all be this way.  There were a few details that were missing so I had to do a lot of flipping the page and using the process of elimination.


I also don't love the quilt.  This also has a few reasons...I'm used to working on smaller quilts and I think I just got bored.  I had some significant problems with the quilter also really threw a damper on things, although by the end of the quilt they were mostly fixed.  There are also a few mistakes in the quilt that I just really don't like.  I'm not sure anyone will ever notice, but...they're there.

Ok, enough of the negative.  Let's talk about the things I do like.  I do like how I quilted this.  In the glow tile part I did a dense stipple, which really made the glow tiles pop.  Outside of that I did some zig-zags, but also added some thread fireworks to make things a bit interesting.  I like using thread so that it stands out from the fabric, but it's a bit nerve-wracking too.  The fireworks on the bottom should be on the bottom side of the mattress and not on the top.

The colors that were used were Kona's Teal Blue, Dark violet, Violet, Orchid, Gold, Curry, and Mustard.

I backed it with minky.  As always.  Because adults love the softness too.

Linking up with Q4 Finish-A-Long (#1)

1 comment:

  1. I think it turned out really well. The colors grabbed my attention when I was scrolling through the blog feed. The amount of open space can be really daunting to quilt. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!