Tuesday, October 15, 2013

1-up - finished!

The 1-up quilt is finished!  It was requested by a friend and based on Cut to Pieces Super Mario Bros. QAL.  I added the clouds and ground so that it would be rectangular.

I found some fabric with squares on it for the back, to keep with the pixelated idea.

Quilting took a rather long time on this quilt, although it could be that school started up around the same time so I just had less time overall.  For most of the sky I put squares and rectangles, but also added a few Easter eggs.  I know they're hard to see, but that was kind of the point.

Some bricks and question marks,
source: http://www.giantbomb.com/mario-block/3055-702/images/

some mountians,
source: http://www.smashingmagazine.com/smashing-newsletter-issue-50/

and a pipe.
source: http://gamecola.net/2006/01/what-the-crap-super-mario-bros/
You can also see in the picture above that I did back and forths for the grass and square pebbles for the dirt.

Finally, the 1-up dude was mostly done using a maze pattern, with back and forths in the black area.  The thread always matched the fabric color.

The quilt was bound so that the binding matched the quilt.  (So it is sky blue for the sky area and brown for the dirt area.)  (I had a picture for this, but really it's easier to see on the quilting close-ups above.)

And finally, no video game quilt would be complete without a picture of some controllers.  Now, if he only had hands.

This is my finish for A Lovely Year of Finishes!


  1. This came out so well!! :D And I love all the easter egg quilting. You are so clever!

  2. It turned out really cute! You did an excellent job!

  3. I love it! I like the added clouds and ground and the quilting job!


Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!