Thursday, February 26, 2015

Rainbow zigzags

Rainbow zigzags (i.e., Eleanor's quilt) is finished!  It was my February ALYoF goal, and not only did I get it done, I even gave it to Eleanor.


I started with a pack of Kona Classic hexagons.  I cut the hexies in half, and then each half into a parallelogram and an equilateral triangle.  I used the parallelograms in the quilt and have a bunch of triangles just waiting to become something really cute.

For the larger parallelograms I used fabrics that I already had...except for purple.  I had to go buy two more purples because I didn't have anything dark enough. 

The colors are all the same size within a column, but the background (Kona Putty) varies.  It was a nice semi-improve way to do it.

The quilting is a wood grain.  Nice and easy and it felt just right for this quilt...especially since the quilt itself is rather busy.

The backing is a minky.  The background is white which doesn't really go with the Putty on the front, but it was just so much fun.  And of course nice and soft.

Once again we had a recent snow and so I took advantage of the pristine backdrop.  It's really quite fun to take pictures in the snow.

The original inspiration for the quilt can be found here, although I've seen a few other similar ones around too.

Linking up with LAAF, Whoop-whoop Friday, Finish it up Friday. (Once the linky parties show up.)

4 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous. I love how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the snow photos, and the quilt too, of course! I like the idea of varying the width of background pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I love that! You did a beautiful job on it. Very nice snow photo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great quilt! Such vibrant colours, and whoa, they sure pop against the white snow as well as against the putty background.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!