Saturday, August 17, 2013

AQS quilt show

Today I went to the AQS quilt show in Grand Rapids.  All by myself.  I'll admit, while it's fun to go with other people it was also a lot of fun to go by myself.  I could go at my own pace...sometimes slowly and sometimes quickly.  Most of the quilts were stunning.  This year I especially enjoyed the guild challenge section and the miniatures that were on tour from a museum in Kentucky.

Then I started going through the vendors.  It's actually rather overwhelming, and I almost saw myself going through the whole area and not getting anything.  But then I reminded myself I had some goals, the main one being to find a good sky.  It's for a baby girl so it couldn't be too blue.  It's going to be paper pieced so it couldn't be too patterned.  It's for a baby so I didn't want it too white.  The clouds I found were too directional.  I found one that I really liked, but the texture was wrong.  I finally found something at a booth that always catches my eye as they have great ombre fabrics.  One of the ombres might have found it's way into my basket.  During my searches I also found some blue snowflakes to match the red and grey flakes that I recently picked up.


2 comments:

  1. I agree, there are two very distinct pleasures: one is commenting on quilts as you go with friends and the other is being totally immersed in your own pleasure. I also find I have two very different ways of looking when with or without camera. I like to have a goal when shopping the vendors too--doesn't mean nonrelated fabric won't find its way home with me though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually prefer going to some shows by myself so I can take time where I want . . . I'm especially slow when it comes to the shopping part and go around at least twice. Always get off track with my purchases though.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!