Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Happy Surprise - Aunt's quilt

My aunt's quilt is finished!  It is based on a quilt from the American Patchwork & Quilting 2016 Calendar, month June.


The main differences include the center square all being the same fabric and the fabric layout.  It is scrappy, but all the pairs are the same...purple & pink, blue & yellow, and orange & green.  I had meant to put complimentary colors together, but made a mistake.  I like it though.

I spent a very long time on the layout.  I'm not really going to describe the pattern to you, but it is there. 


I put a minky cloud on the back.  Because minky is for adults too. I thought the clouds went nicely with the trees, and was light enough that it wouldn't be showing up on the white fabric on the front.


For the quilting, I did three different motifs in the white squares.  An 8-pointed flower, flower power - it looks like a chrysanthemum to me, and Fancy Hook Feathers (from 180 Doodle Quilting Designs).  In the colored sections I did some leaves...ground cover for the trees.


Since there were so many pine trees in the quilt, it is only fitting that a picture be taken near a pine tree too.

This was my February goal.  I finished it about a week ago, but had to hurry up and get pictures!

4 comments:

  1. Great looking quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very bright and fun! Congrats on meeting your February goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love it so much, I want to drop everything and make this quilt!!! What a fabulous finish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty, and I love the cloud backing!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!