Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Behind the seams: a mistake

This month's Behind the Seams features a mistake.

My mistake is recent and has to do with the green coasters I was making. 

I put them together, only to realize that there is a huge lump in the middle.  I then used two pieces of batting and cut a hole in the middle of each one.  The first one looks nice.

But if you put a flat bottomed drink on the coaster, it has a significant tilt...way to much to be useful as general purpose coasters.  They'll work for mugs, at least.


Sigh.  I still want to finish them, but am not feeling very motivated about it.  Since this is a recent WIP, I'll also be joining WIP Wednesday.

Fabric

So, what's your mistake?  Were you able to salvage the work?  Does it now give it character or is it obvious that it is a mistake?  This linky party is ideally supposed to be a subject that you can post about if you need some interesting post material.  (Or if you just find the subject interesting.)  I found that I just wasn't making enough progress on my quilts to justify another progress post and wanted something different to post about sometimes.  Here's how it works:

1) The linky part will be open for a year.  I'd like to encourage you to post within the first month, as I'll be reminding people to go back and look at the posts, but it isn't required.
2) I'll be announcing the topic and opening the party on the 15th of each month.
3) Feel free to link posts that you've written in the past.

Thanks for joining me!

6 comments:

  1. LOL...It's hammer time! Whack those babies with a rubber hammer to flatten the seam, not to hard! It works for other types of seams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, no! I have this problem way too often! Sometimes I just trim my seam allowances just a hair to reduce the bulk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the same trouble with one of my blocks.. But recently.. I just had a lot of trouble with the paper piecing at an angle..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like your idea for a linky! I have LOTS of mistakes - have linked up just one:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I accidentally threw a quilt block in with my kids' clothes. Thought I could fix the fraying, only to realize the block shrunk too. Ooops! I may use it on the back of the quilt, otherwise it is scrapped!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a crying shame, because those coasters are AWESOME. Must be someway to sort them out? :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!