Thursday, October 29, 2015

Swimsuit quilt

I finished quilting the swimsuit quilt for my mother-in-law!  It took a while before I figured out how I wanted to quilt it.  I thought about doing a beach scene, but wasn't thrilled with the idea.  I was looking around some of the blogs I look at for quilting inspiration when I saw some waves from The Inbox Jaunt.  It still took a bit before I decided to use them; my first efforts at drawing them didn't work very well.


But after looking at several other things that just weren't working for me I decided to go with the waves.  Mine don't look quite as nice, but for the most part they turned out fine.  One thing I should have done differently though is to figure out the best way of quilting ahead of time.


I had tons of starts and stops!  And then I decided the swimsuits needed to be tacked down a bit more, so I did a bit of stitch in the ditch.  If I had realized that ahead of time I could have saved myself so much time.  Oh well...not a big deal in the end though.


I also stitched bodies in for the bikinis.  It just didn't feel right putting water on top of invisible bodies.


It was rather cold the day I took the picture above...definitely not swimsuit weather.

Finishing this means I met my October ALYoF goal (#35)!  I'll also be linking up with TGIFF, Whoop-whoop Friday, and Finish it Up Friday.

8 comments:

  1. Great quilt. I love the idea of the waves. I never know how I'm going to quilt anything until after I've finished the top. I then doodle on paper some ideas until I get the finished plan. THis does save quite a bit of time and stress xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your quilt is too cute! The fabrics you used for the suits are a lot of fun. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really cute! And I think you did a nice job on the quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job with this quilt - piecing and quilting!! If I had been your bikini model you could have quilted the rolls :) So glad you linked up with ALYOF so I could enjoy the eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a clever idea and the quilting is just spot on. It always takes me a while to figure out how to quilt things too, great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love your ideas about this quilt( putting in the bodies) and waves !!! Just such a cute, cute quilt!!! Wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute quilt, your waves are wonderful, just the right touch.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting...I love seeing what you have to say!