I just took pieces and put them together, and them kept doing that until I got a rectangular(ish) piece. Then I put the rectangles together. I didn't read anything about improve piecing ahead of time...it might have been a good idea, but it ended up turning out fine. I did have to make an extra cut because I looked at the first final product and there was a row of really large pieces that stood out. But by that time I had kind of learned...if you don't like it, cut it up and try again.
I backed it with some minky. My son hasn't discovered this yet and has just left the pillow alone.
And here it is in its home, near Fractured.
Linking up with Sew Cute Tuesday, Fabric Tuesday, TGIFF, Whoop-Whoop Friday, Finish it Up Friday